How to Buy Lists
1. Initial Pitch
- What is the purpose of the campaign?
- Have mail piece sample ready to send for pre-approval by list owners
- Think about possible competitors who may not rent names, but may swap (a guide to list swaps)
- Request as much information from a list manager/broker on candidate list, i.e.
- How is it compiled? What have individuals responded to? Ask to see examples
- How often is the file updated?
- What cleaning tools are used to maintain data integrity?
- What is the basic profile of the list? i.e. age, male/female, demographics
- What selections are available? i.e. buyers, multi buyers, spend, products bought
- Most list owner's have minimum order quantities of 5,000 names
- Most test campaigns should include more than one list
- You will normally be quoted a cost per 1,000 rate, most list owners will charge extra for targeted selections such as gender, recency, products and so on
- Remember there is a high chance of duplicate records across databases which should be allowed for when calculating the net mail qty. Speak to our team to find our more
- Ensure that you understand the terms of usage
- Ensure that you have back-up lists in the event that you cannot get access to your first choice
- Always check roll-out availability to ensure that you can maximise profitability against successful lists
3. List Warranties and the DPA
- All list owners/data controllers must be registered under the Data Protection Act with the Information Commissioner, check the register of data controllers to ensure that they are registered CHECK HERE!
- Ask if the list is registered with the List Warranty Scheme
Remember, the more information you can provide your List Manager/Broker, the better service you will receive!